Saturday, December 31, 2011

ignorance must be bliss

Thursday night was my extended family's Christmas party. I used to dread going, but now I look forward to it, (mostly because I am now of the legal drinking age, and alcohol makes all things bearable). It is a potluck party, so the meal can be stressful. I had a smoothie that morning, and didn't eat again until dinner at 8, so I felt really good about it. And I only had a bit of salad and a slice of bread. And three beers. But I think I was still under 1000 calories, so I was happy.

I spent most of the night with my cousin and her brother's girlfriend. They are a few years older than me, but we get along really well. At one point in the evening, by younger cousins suckered us into playing Monopoly. (It has to be the worst game ever. It takes forever for someone to lose, and always ends up in a fight. Once again, alcohol came to the rescue). The younger girls gave us makeovers, too. Well, just hairdo, because someone had the good sense to hide an makeup (or face-paint, as they would have settled for it).

It was actually really nice to see the family, because I haven't since last year. My aunt mentioned how good I looked, and asked if I had been doing anything. (I said working out. A lot of aerobics. I didn't bring the dieting thing in to the mix because she would look at me like I was nuts and try to change my mind about it). Honestly though, it gave me such an ego boost. I can't notice a difference, and most people say nothing so I assume nothing has changed. But when she was taken aback by my appearance, I knew that I must be making some progress. She also said I should just give up school and get into modelling. (Hmm, now you're stretching it a bit, auntie. First: I'm not thin enough. Second: I'm not tall enough. Third: Not pretty enough, either.) I guess that since last Christmas I have lost 14 lbs.

Today is New Year's Eve, which is fine, I guess. I always stay home and watch movies. I hate to go to the bars, because they are always packed. And as much fun as house parties are, no one ever wants to be the host. So unless something comes up within the next few hours, I'm just lounging in my jammies watching movies and reading Nylon all night. But before I do that, there is one more resolution that I made last year that I have left to complete. (Actually, there are many, but this one I feel like I should do, just to get me one the right track for the new year. and because it can be done in one day). That resolution? To write a story. A short story. I have been toying with the idea for quite a while, (like 2 years). I just want to try my hand at fiction, and see where it takes me.



I hope that you all have a lovely end to 2011, and ring in the the new year right. (With a can-do attitude, not a handful of samosas or buttered nuts).

1 comment:

  1. Alcohol does make things bearable. Especially when family are involved lol.
    I agree with bars being horrible on New Years. I only intend to stay out for a few hours and then flock back to a friends house.
    Enjoy writing the short story. I love writing.
    xx

    ReplyDelete