Saturday, November 5, 2011

roller derby

I woke up this morning from the worst sleep ever, but the most wonderful dream. I could not get back to sleep, (not that I really wanted to), which is why I am sitting at my laptop at 7 am on a Saturday morning. I dreamt that I signed up for Timbits hockey, as a 21 year old. At the last minute, I bailed because I felt I was too old, but also a terrible skater and would slow the other children down and be the worst player on the team, (thank you dream logic). Instead I joined up with a skating class, that apparently was not held on ice but in a room in bare feet. I decided that I would wear my roller skates to the class, so that it would be more like skating. (I actually have roller skates, but am terrible at skating). I kept ramming into everyone else in the class, and rolling over their feet, but I felt that I was getting a ton better. I was kicked out of the class, though, because I was disrupting everyone else's learning. As I left the class, I ran into two girls on my city's roller derby team. I told them how much I wanted to be part of the team, and they were so supportive that I got my shit together and trained over the winter to try out for the team in the spring. The training day came, and it was the weirdest thing ever. I had to run barefoot through this bizzarro obstacle course that was more like a madhouse than anything. (What is up with this dream and doing things barefoot?)

Anyways, I woke up and I realized that if I ever want my dream of being on the roller derby team, I had better get my shit together and train for it to happen. The problem is, I live in a northern climate, and we are about to get a dump of snow for the next 6 months, which foils my plans of training outdoors. I also live in a really hilly area, which is impossible to learn how to skate in. I need to find a place indoors, like a church basement or something, but I do not know anyone. Plus my family and friends are probably the absolute least supportive people when it comes to this goal of mine.

I have decided to write a letter to the derby team. I could e-mail them, but I think a letter in writing would be so much cooler. Everyone likes getting mail. Plus I can cover it in awesome doodles and things. I am not too sure what to say, either. "Hi, I think you are awesome. How can I be as awesome as you?" is a little too groupie-ish. I will work on it. I also need to figure out a derby name. If you ladies are not familiar with derby, every girl comes up with a nickname for herself, that is sexy/fearsome, like Malice in Wonderland, or Scarlett Bitch, but it absolutely must be original. I have no clue what to pick as mine, but I am going to signmy letter as it. Any suggestions?






No comments:

Post a Comment