Friday, March 2, 2012

time for a (ex)change


A few weeks ago I applied to go on a university exchange next winter. I had to write an essay as to why I should be chosen, list references, rate my top three choices of where I wanted to go, etc. My top three choices were: 1) Aberdeen 2) Massey University in New Zealand, and 3) Oxford Brookes. I picked these because they have really good nutrition programs, an I want to take courses that will transfer to my program here. Anyways, I got an offer today, and.....(drum roll please)....

ABERDEEN! I am going to Scotland next January!

It hasn't really sunk in yet. I mean, it is nearly a year from now. But I am thrilled to pieces!

There is so much to do until then, too. Flights, accommodations, course selection, finishing both this semester and fall semester here in Canada, summer work. At least I will be busy, even if I am ticking the days off the calendar in eager anticipation.

It was funny, actually. When I picked up my acceptance package today at the Center for International Programs, the girl at the desk asked me if she could videotape my reaction to my acceptance. "Umm.... no?" That would have been too weird, especially because I am not overtly emotional, ever. I probably would have looked totally uncomfortable, and fake. Instead I stuffed the package in my bag and went to Starbucks and got a soy Green Tea latte - unsweetened, of course. And then I sat down and read my acceptance letter - much more my style :)

1 comment:

  1. ohmygosh CONGRATS!!! scotland!!! so exciting! i used to know a guy w. a scottish accent. i wud just sit there & listen to him speak & not pay attention to a word he said lol...jst for the accent!(totally not creepy). either case, super happy for u:)

    ReplyDelete